Google Search Liaison announced on twitter that the Google Broad Core Algorithm Update November 2021 will begin rolling out on the 18th November 2021.
This is the first broad core update since July 2021 and the third broad core update for 2021. Typically, Google will release two core updates per year, however, 2021 has been anything but typical for Google updates.
As always, Google advised SEOs to refer to the core update documentation (which now dates back to 2019). The single page web page (which we can only assume picks up millions of views on the day that a core update is released) states that webmasters and SEOs should focus on creating valuable, relevant content that abides by the Google E-A-T principle and provides value to users.
Later today, we are releasing a broad core update, as we do several times per year. It is called the November 2021 Core Update. Our guidance about such updates is here:
Google Search Liaison later tweeted confirming that the update had started rolling out:
The November 2021 Core Update is now rolling out live. As is typical with these updates, it will typically take about one to two weeks to fully roll out.
John Mueller Jumps In
Google’s Webmaster Trends Analyst John Mueller was quick to jump in when one twitter user speculated they had seen an immediate ranking drop after Google announced that the trend would start “later today”:
Things to Know About Google’s Broad Core Algorithm Updates
- Broad core updates are designed to improve the overall Google algorithm. Unlike some updates that specifically target link or content spam, Broad Core updates will target all aspects of the search experience.
- Changes to search results are experienced by all websites. While the impacts may feel acute to your website, you can be assured that your competitors search results are also being reassessed. Whether this leads to a positive or negative impact in SERPs will be determined by how Google assesses their website and content quality.
- Do not make any dramatic changes. Broad core updates typically take 10-14 days to completely roll out. If your website has experienced significant changes in the first 1-2 days of an update, you should hold off on any dramatic changes.
- Websites that focus on a high-quality content strategy should (in theory) be the websites that experience the greatest benefit during a broad core algorithm update. While it can sometimes be difficult to comprehend the search results of competitors or the broader market, Google is trying to improve the quality of search results by rewarding high quality content.
- If you experience a loss in rankings, this does not mean that you have been hit with a Google penalty or manual action. Instead, it most likely means that Google has reassessed your website rankings based on content quality factors.
- It is a good idea to keep a close eye on the websites that perform well or seemingly come from nowhere during a broad core update. Websites that see dramatic improvements around the time of Google broad core updates are more likely to be creating content that Google deems to be high-quality.
- Finally (and most importantly); do not panic. It can take weeks to see the full results of a broad core update.
What Does The Broad Core Update Mean for My Site?
Google broad core updates are designed with the explicit intention of improving the quality of organic search results. If your website has been negatively impacted by the November 2021 Broad Core Algorithm Update, it could be time to reassess your content strategy.
Core updates are designed to filter our low-quality, low-effort content from prominent search ranking positions and ensure that Google search result quality continues to improve. If your website is negatively impacted by Google over the next fortnight, Google is essentially saying that they have found other webpages that they believe are more relevant and valuable.
If your website rankings have dropped significantly, we recommend reassessing your on-site SEO strategy and working with an SEO specialist to improve website content.
What Should I Do if I’m Negatively Impacted?
Google continues to provide the same advice around how to recover from a broad core update. If your website has been affected by the Google Broad Core Algorithm Update November 2021, you should refer to the following advice.
- Create valuable, relevant content.
- Cover a topic in depth – avoid thin content
- Ensure correct spelling, grammar, and overall readability.
- Address the specific topic explicitly to meet user expectations.
- Do not over optimise page titles or headings
- Earn high quality backlinks
Above all, remember that Google is a business. Their entire business model depends on delivering the best possible search engine results. Broad core updates are designed to maintain search result quality and ensure that Google continues to be the leading choice of search engine users.
An Unprecedented Period of Google Updates
2021 has been a period of extreme change and volatility in the Google search results. As an SEO Agency, Safari Digital has been front row to a relentless onslaught of SERP changes that have had dramatic affect across almost every industry. The Google Broad Core Algorithm Update November 2021 is the latest in a long list of recent algorithm updates.
- Google broad core update– June 2nd
- Google page experience update – 15th June
- Google broad core update – July 1st
- Google link spam update – 26th July
- Google September Algorithm Update (unconfirmed)
- Google October Algorithm Update (unconfirmed)
- Google November Algorithm Update (unconfirmed)
- Google December Algorithm Update (unconfirmed)
As we mentioned above, do not panic. Wait until the core update has finished rolling out before making any drastic changes to your website, your content strategy, or your overall SEO strategy.
Our best advice is to sit tight and see how your website rankings look once the update has finished rolling out. In the event of a loss of traffic, it may be time to consult with a Brisbane SEO Agency who can help you to understand the root cause of the problem and put together a sound strategy going forward.